How do I open my headlights?
There are several options to consider when opening headlights.
Option 1 Baking (Industry standard)
- Headlights can be baked in the oven at 240 degrees for 12-20 min (allow the oven to fully preheat before inserting headlights. ( pro tip: put aluminum foil on the oven rack in between the headlight and the surface it sits on)
- Once the headlight has been thoroughly heated, use heat-resistant gloves.
- Use a flat-head screwdriver to begin prying from one end of the headlight until you have worked around the entire light. Be sure to work all the way around the headlight before attempting to pull the lens off.
- If the lens won't separate, re-heat the headlight in the oven for 5-10 minutes, then repeat.
Option 2 Cut Open (Easiest)
- Headlights can be cut open using a rotary cutting tool, Dremel, oscillating tool, or ultrasonic cutter. Cut the seal where the lens meets the housing.
- Be sure to use slow and controlled cuts until you have worked your way around the entire headlight assembly.
- The Lens will then come right off
How do I reseal my headlights after cutting them open?
- After cutting open, align the headlights and lens together as best you can.
- You can then melt the plastic around the cut using a hot knife or soldering iron. (optional step)
- Finish off with RTV silicone sealant for extra security.
Option 3 (safest for beginners ) Heat gun
- Using a heat gun, heat around the entire edge of the headlight until you have worked your way around several times. The outside seal of the headlight should be nice and hot.
- Be sure to keep the heat moving and not hold the heat gun in one spot for too long, or melt can occur. Additionally, heat should not touch the main face of the lens—only the outer edge.
- Once the headlight has been thoroughly heated, Use a flat-head screwdriver to begin prying from one end of the headlight until you have worked around the entire light. Be sure to work all the way around the headlight before attempting to pull the lens off.
- If the lens doesn't separate, you must re-heat the headlight for 5-10 minutes, then repeat.
Option 4: Get a local professional to install
One word: YOUTUBE! If you are inexperienced, a great option is to watch a youtube tutorial on how to open and seal headlights. (There are tons of them, use your best judgment to find a good one )
Check out our top 3 recommended Youtube videos on how to open headlights